The original Charter Articles allowed were items A through H of Government Code Section 6100 of the State of California. Some of those articles were never used and became latent under Senate Bill 135 in Code Section 560-36 et. Seq. However, on October 27, 2005, the Local Agency Formation Commission (LAFCO) of Imperial County adopted a Resolution providing Salton Community Services the following seven (7) services, within 61100 of the revised act:
1. Collect, treat, or dispose of sewage.
2. Collect, transfer and dispose of solid waste.
3. Provide Fire protection.
4. Acquire, construct recreation facilities.
5. Organize, promote community recreation.
6. Acquire, construct, and improve lighting and landscaping.
7. Provide emergency medical services.
The Salton Community Services District was originally formed as Desert Shores Community Services District and then all of the area south was annexed in 1957, the name was changed to Salton, as that area was being subdivided into 98 individual tracts.
The Salton Community Services District has five (5) elected Directors that serve a staggered four-year term. They hire a general manager, who is in charge of the day-to-day operations of the district.