The District was created in 1955 to supply the residents and businesses of Salton City and Desert Shores Communities on the West Shores of the Salton Sea. Services included fire protection, sanitation services, parks & recreational work, sewage maintenance, and any other services that may become necessary. In 1957 the name was changed to Salton Community Services District. The District’s goal is to provide the highest quality facilities and services throughout the District’s area in the most efficient and economical way possible. Management and staff are committed to professional and courteous customer service.
The Salton Community Services District was originally formed as Desert Shores Community Services District. All of the area south was annexed in 1957 and the name was changed to Salton, as that area was being subdivided into 98 individual tracts.